Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tack Room saddle racks

As per request some closeups of the saddle racks I built for the new tack room. I used scrap wood so the dimensions are not exactly the same for the three racks I made, one is larger than the other two. The most important measurement is the length of the rack itself, which traditionally is 24 inches but I used 22" for the one and 20" for the other two. The Icelandic saddle shown fits perfectly on the 20" one so I am glad I shrank them a little (also since there is not that much room between the wall and the door).

The other measurement is to use 1x6" boards for the angled top (one ripped one board width smaller) and cut of the corners at a 45 degree angle. I ripped a piece of 2x4" into a triangle shaped 45 degree angled brace piece with a 30 degree chop at the end. The brace bar is a 1x2" with two 45 degree angle cuts. The back board is a 1x8" (or 1x10" whatever you have around).

Assemble the two 1x6" boards first with wood glue in the joint and self tapping screws (helps prevent cracking). Then glue and screw the angled brace with a flush edge towards the back board. When dry position on back board as you prefer (about a quarter down from top looks nice) and pencil guidelines around top and edge. I think it's easiest to lay the saddle part flat on a table with the flush edge towards you, add glue and then quickly position backboard, holding board in place with one hand and screwdriver with the other (start the screw first). I use a 4" screw thru the backboard into the angled brace for extra strength. The rest is pretty straight forward, add some more screws to secure 1x6's and position, glue and screw brace. Then dry, sand & paint!

We have a router so I rounded off all edges and corners for a more finished look (don't round where the boards joint). I can't take credit for the design, I slightly altered an existing design used in the tackroom of the barn I take lessons here in Ithaca, NY. I also saw a similar design in a fifties german childrens / horse show where they used half a rounded beam instead of the two angled boards directly bolted into wall studs. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog