Wednesday, November 3, 2010

my patchwork privy

After two years of slowly digging away at the pit, I finally was able to quit and start building my privy! And good timing too, as our two+ year old started potty training and while playing in the yard did not want to go all the way back up to the house to pee... Which is where this two holer, toddler size version comes from.

Since I knew for quite a few years I wanted to build a privy I was able to collect materials for quite a while. After the build of our timberframe garage / workshop we had a lot of scraps left over and combined with the old basement shelving (5" cherry tongue and groove boards) and a whole stack of lake house paneling (5" pine tongue and groove) I found one day alongside route 34 it seemed time to start.

We also had a couple 2x6" rough cut left overs stored behind the shed I could rip into 2x3"s for the main structure, combined with some rough cut dollar 1x4" planks and ripped scrap packing wood from lowe's for the less than 40" long boards I did not have to go out and specifically buy anything but the door hinges! Oh, and two ventilation panels I kinda forgot to install I just realised (after sitting on a wet seat from ground condensation)!

Oh, the roof are two pieces of (new) left over metal roofing panels used to protect the timberframe roof when it got shipped. And I also had two old but working louvre shutters I cut down short and installed as windows and ventilation. Initially, they were also the main source of light, but since the inauguration bonfire party showed that nobody uses an unlit privy on a dark night I did install a pull cord light fixture inside (also a leftover...) which can be plugged into an extension cord. No point in going thru all the effort if it does not get used :-)

For more pics on the project - though I did not take many pics as I was too wrapped up in the actual build - you can check my patchwork privy on Picasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog