Friday, December 10, 2010

have spare energy?

go chop down a bunch of trees and built a few bonfires - it works like a charm :-)

After learning about the bone tumor thingy I got just a little nervous... Instead of googling tumors or thinking about any biopsy results I thought of something laborious to do that Simon the 2 year old would enjoy as well and voila: now we have a walk through the woods. Nice thing is that Simon fairly regularly asks to go hike back there (bos! bos!), not so nice thing is that it suddenly turned winter and halfway through he or we get chilled and then it's a long way back to the house... but hey, we're Dutch, back yards that large is not something we should complain about :-)

I know, it does not look like much, but believe me: there were so many small shrubs and fallen wood even Simon could not get through without getting caught, tripping or tripping while getting caught! So I built a small wood collector on the trailer of the lawn tractor (basically six upright 2x4's , one in each corner and one in the middle of the long sides to gather all the downed wood and chopped down shrubs to the bonfire pit. I think I did that for about two weeks, several times in the weekend once or twice during week days depending on weather - I must have hauled at least 25 loads of scraps out of those woods to make it (goat) kid safe! I really had some energy to spare, I guess :-)

This view is looking back, the mature trees are on the house side and the New York State Protected Marshland (we call it the swamp) is on the left. Which does mean about half the trail is pretty muddy so when it has rained the lawn tractor has a tendency to get really stuck! I did get two car trailer loads of wood chips from the city to raise things up a bit which does help (no snow cover means wet, muddy ground in pics), but for now when it's really wet it's just not drivable.

And why all this effort?
Couple of reasons: my handicapped sister comes to visit us in February and I plan to have her ride the lawn tractor (snow chains?) all around the place to see for herself what all the fuss is about. She sees the postings and the pictures but last time she was here we tried to push her around in the wheel chair and that just did not work.

Simon needs his physical time, especially in winter. The boardwalk is not all that long yet - large water willow came down and needs to be chainsawed first - and this loop thru the woods makes our hike around the goat pasture just different enough it's fun. Plus, I made a raised platform with a bench (so I can take a rest) for an open view over the swamp and that just turned out gorgeous... the view's not ours but I don't think those neighbors would mind sharing it!

And one more thing: goats like woods. Hopefully this spring I can fence off part of the woods to create a temporary pasture for the girls where they can munch young tree growth in spring (keeps the forest floor more open) and leaves in fall. They won't be allowed in there when they're into tree bark (mostly late fall & winter) to protect our beautiful large sugar maple trees.

I situated the trail with an eventual goat fence in mind as I would like to use live trees as occasional fence posts with steel t-posts in between. From Michael's swamp experiences, most of his pasture is wet at least part of the year, I learned to use tall ones - and so we learn from each others' experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog