Monday, May 2, 2011

For a couple of years I saved these flat rocks with the idea to make a path or something with them. We found them in our woods, at our property's edge, I even picked up some large ones thru a craigslist ad. But after I again slipped and nearly went on my butt hauling chicken feed down the slope I gave in, got all my rocks and puzzled together this great looking and well working stone step staircase!

I used four loads of five buckets each of gravel as a foundation, and sprinkled that with Quickrete we had left over from the goat barn build before placing the stones. The steps are surprisingly solid, only one or two wobble slightly and might not have at all if we had not used the steps while the quickrete was curing (forgot about that step). But man, was I glad we have an old pile of driveway gravel on our property! That would have been 20 bags of $5 each, geeh.

No, that's not the new door :)
I removed the old door and put this didn't-quite-work greenhouse door in the opening so it does not rain in as much. Had to tie it down with bungees though, this one immediately blew over as well! Maybe we should start thinking "windmill" instead of "solar array" LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog