Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A soap display for a vintage store...

It took some thinking and looking around the house and workshop to see what could be repurposed - about two weeks worth - and in the end came up with quite a nice display, I'd say!

The base is a small 4 foot wide desk (the display could not exceed 4 feet wide) friends of ours were throwing out and I picked up for my sunroom. It looked a lot nicer to store our fruits and veggies in the summer (we ripen peaches and brandywine tomatoes indoors) but now we're back to a regular plastic folding table... The little flat crates with slots are half and third apple crates. I pick them up at yard sales and use the table saw to cut them in slices, then add a solid plank bottom and hardwood slats from pallets (I save nice thin pieces especially with these bins in mind). The two slender boxes in back are from one old wine crate cut in two and set on their side as a shelf. I found a whole bunch of these on trash day a while back but was not the only one - after some arguing about who was first we realized there were so many we ended splitting them up :)

The vertical shelf is a large window with an added frame of really old barn wood, all weathered and full of holes (character I think it's called) I got with a dump load of scrap wood from the Ithaca Re-Use place. Tthey demolish old buildings in town for salvage and will deliver wood that's only good enough for burning around town instead of dumping it at our local landfill, yay! The three foot bin below the table is an old photo display bin my husband built years ago and that was sitting in storage.
All in all a nice display which fits right into the store's vintage look!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog