Thursday, January 10, 2013

Monica, may she rest in peace

I'm real sad to say that our trusty milker Monica died this week...
She was ailing for a while, had milkfever after kidding last spring, had real trouble putting on and keeping on weight over summer and then had a miscarriage followed by milkfever this winter... I tried high nutrient food, extra vitamins, splitting up at feeding just to make sure everyone got what they needed, and just when I thought she was getting over the last set down she died. Poor, poor girl.

In collaboration with Cornell Ambulatory I donated her body to the vet school Anatomy lab. Hopefully an autopsy will reveal what went wrong so I can learn and prevent my other girls from having to go thru a similar ordeal like her. And maybe her remains can help teach the student farm vets...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog