Tuesday, January 3, 2012

We have a tack room

With the expected shortage of hay this year I decided to stock up well. Before I got all the hay in though I built with the help of my hubbie (he framed it) a separate tack and feed room in the shed right on the other side of the main goat barn. He even extended the board siding of the new barn to the side of the old shed which makes it look much nicer. The dividing wall (outside wall of shed) now also has a dutch door instead of a window, so if the front barn door gets frozen stuck again - like several times last year - I don't have to go thru the window!

The hay area is about twice as big as the open stall in the barn, it fits about 55-60 bales. The tack and feed room is about 5 feet by 8 feet and has a large built in feed bin in the back with shelving for buckets etc. I also built three saddle racks from a design I spotted at my horseback riding barn Kelviden. I slightly altered the design, it had a angle cut I did not know how to do, and am quite happy with the results. I used three old warped pine shelves (ripped 6" boards with the table saw) and some 6" pine board and rounded all corners with the router. The one saddle I have on loan (it fits the horse I like to buy) fits perfectly, now all I need is the horse to go with it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog