Thursday, March 28, 2013

beeswax lip balm

My first foray into lip balm making... and my basement studio smelled absolutely wonderful of warm beeswax and honey! I hope the lip balm tastes like it smelled :)


Making the recipe was quicker than making a soap batch as there is no lye involved; just melting and mixing the wax and oil. The hard part was figuring out how to get it into the tiny tins - and I ended up using a large syringe (left over from toddler antibiotics) which worked perfectly. Bit of a bugger getting it clean again, wax cools down fast and becomes solid easily and hot water is not hot enough, but not as much as cleaning stuff from making charcoal soap!


I based the recipe on a batch published in Grit
www.grit.com/community/crafts/beeswax-lip-balm-recipe.aspx

a very locally themed lip balm; made with local organic sunflower oil, local beeswax and local raw honey - with a dash of vitamin E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog