Saturday, February 13, 2010

Baby chicks without mail order...

I get my color ranger meat chickens from Susan Hannah out of Pennsylvania, who treks up to the Fingerlakes in spring to deliver baby chicks and keets. I much prefer color rangers over the traditional Cornish or Cornish X Rock. They look nicer, develop better (slightly slower) and have less health problems. If you would like to try her out as well you can reach her at 973.827.1665 or email her at hannan_susan@yahoo.com

Of course both locally owned Agway and chain store Tractor Supply Inc sell chicks & ducks as well. Personally I prefer the chicks from Agway (it's the one on the other side of route 13). They tend to have a nice variety of breeds each year, and also offer some turkey and duck breeds. My problem is that they offer the most common breeds which are of course not the ones I want!

You can also use Craigslist.com and place a wanted ad to share a mail order. Mention the company you'd like to order from, the type of poultry (ducks and geese ship together, but not with chicks for instance) and your preferred time frame. I've have real good experiences buying rare breed turkey like this, but I have also heard the opposite - it does not hurt to be clear in your intentions and ask for a down payment :-)

Search This Blog