Saturday, February 13, 2010

Good cheese making resources

The two companies I was referred most, which specialize in cheese making supplies are:

New England Cheese Making Supply Company
with tons of equipment, workshops, books, gift ideas and beginner kits. I like their equipment prices and got my thermometer, ladle and cheese cloth here.

The Dairy Connection
more focused on the advanced hobbyist and (small scale) professionals. I like their bulk cultures, and got my MM100 mesophillic and rennet here.

I am planning on building a Dutch Cheese Press myself, and when I locate suitable building plans I will add them here. New England Cheesemaking sells plans, if you are interested right now ;-)

For the sake of our local merchants, I got my cheese knife, stainless steel colander and stainless steel small measuring cups at B&W Restaurant Supply Company located at 510 Third Street which is off of Route 13 and opposite Aldi. They also carry a large selection of stainless steel pots (do not use aluminum pots & pans) though I was able to get mine at the New Jersey Ikea for a much better price (long drive, though).

A very good website, with lots of goat husbandry tips and cheese recipes, is found at Fias Co Farm. I like this site because the design is low key and the focus is on dairy goats, not cows.

A blog I just discovered: Hein en Nellie; cheese making adventures in Brooklyn, lists lots of resources, anecdotes and experience (but is cow dairy oriented).

Some good books on the subject:
"Goats Produce Too! The Udder Real Thing Volume II Cheesemaking and more" by Mary Jane Toth

"Making cheese, butter and yogurt" by Ricki Carroll (a Storey Country Wisdom Bulletin)

"Making Artisan Cheese: Fifty Fine Cheese That You Can Make in Your Own Kitchen" by Tim Smith

Some local resources to buy goat milk:
Side Hill Acres sells raw goat milk and wonderful goat cheeses made from raw goat milk. They are located in Candor, NY 13743

West Creek Family Farm sells raw goat milk and homemade goat milk soap, you can contact them by email at westcreekfamilyfarm@hotmail.com

Greenstar Ithaca carries pasturized goat milk as part of their regular inventory in the refrigerated section.

Keep in mind that goat milk stores well frozen. Most two goat families have a milk freezer to store their gallons from the productive season for the off season (winter) when the goats are dried up in preparation for the next breeding.

Search This Blog