Monday, August 30, 2010

remember our sugar maple adventure?

This is the result: a wonderful stack of different sized wood planks, both straight cut and natural edge... We never had a good tree go down before, but man, am I glad I pursued the idea to have it milled instead of chopped into firewood! We even have a couple planks nearly 20 inches wide, you don't see (commercial) hard wood that wide very much anymore, the big trees just aren't around the way they used to...

And yes, that is my bike. I am fortunate to be able to pick up our son from daycare by bike - if I want too :-) He loves it though, and points out all the interesting things along the way. I'm mostly panting, trying to get back up the hill (it's 2 minutes to school and at least 20 minutes to get back home...).


We're not really looking to sell the wood, though I did talk to a woodworker at the Tburg Farmers Market (a possible trade for a side table) and a fine carpenter, welder, sculptor neighbor Rob Licht ( a possible trade for a bonfire bbq grill). And of course, not to forget, our initial trade with Ithaca Farmers Market woodworker Dave Brown who paid half the milling fee for a fair share of boards. Thanks, Dave, for making this (ad)venture possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog