Monday, May 3, 2010

a DIY Goat Hay Feeder

A well working hay feeder, made from scrap wood in a weekend! I followed the plans of the "I did it all by myself Goat Feeder" website - except I made it slightly bigger to accommodate the size wood I had and to make it to a full hay bale size. I found that the width space between the slats got screwed up that way - they're too small for (growing) goats with horns, and I also found I never feed a full bale at one time anyway! If it rains while it's out there it gets damp and the goats don't like that and won't eat it anymore...

I found somewhere else the standard width between slats for goats is 7 inches. If you use that any of the other diameters are whatever you prefer! I did add a lid, which I really like. The piece of angled wood at the back helps the lid to stay open without opening all the way so I can open, load and close with one hand.

Because of the lid, kids like to sleep on top of the hay in the bin :-) Reminds me of that fairy tale of the princess on the pea!

Address of the website is
www.goatworld.com/articles/feeders/feeder.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog