Monday, May 3, 2010

my muscovy nest!

Here's a sneak peek at the nest my black & white Muscovy duck made... She's due sometime this week, after 33 days on the nest! I found with both the ducks and the geese that they'll cover the eggs with down when mommy's off for a stroll... so I can't count the eggs. We're very curious to see what she'll hatch, and how many :-)

The grey and white Muscovy started brooding as well. And of course, the day before the Backyard Poultry Day at the Ithaca Farmers Market where I wanted to bring her and Moe for show and tell! I knew when I picked her up and she started whistling... but she only had two eggs, so I brought her anyway, hoping she'd stay in the mood. And after the big day I filled the nest with the left over duck hatching eggs, put her out in the yard, and next time I looked she was on the nest, all snug and cozy! I do have a feeling her nest will be less successful since it's most likely a mix of khaki campbell and Muscovy eggs, and the one needs 28 days and the other 33 days to fully develop...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog