Sunday, December 9, 2012

what I learned at the Gudmar Clinic

from my posting to the Skutlaclub mailing list:
Let's see, even tho most of the stuff already jumbled all thruout my brain before the second session even started :)

Since Greni is my first (loan) horse, I had a list of things I wanted to double check just to make sure I / we are on the right track...

Greni was complaining about the saddle at home; turns out he lost so much weight the nice duett saddle is way to wide for him. Who would ever have guessed that could happen! So now I have to find a new saddle that fits him - and it took Stephanie quite a while to find this one. I also need a shorter girth, my legs are rubbing on the buckles when I give leg aids. Gudmar pointed out where the buckles ideally should be. Good thing I borrowed most of my equipment as he seems to have "outgrown" most of it!

As there was a conformation vet around at the clinic (taking pictures) I asked if she minded to check out Greni's roached back. She found he has developed no painful area's even tho he is now pretty much ridden daily and apart from finding a fitting saddle should have no problem jumping either. Yay!

Gudmar has never seen a back like his! He even took pictures of it...
Unfortunately that also meant he could not think of any saddle recommendations.

The kimberwick bit I use should not be necessary with Greni, even tho I have the reins at the most neutral spot it still has a leverage effect Gudmar is not happy with. He recommended to get a (double break) snaffle instead.

The things I learned in the arena:

The four months of bending exercises paid off and we could learn the one rein stop this time. Last time we tried Greni was so stiff he could not turn his neck adequately and definitely not relax/give into it (touching the stirrups will be our ultimate goal). Gudmar advised to do many more bending exercises.

I was also very relieved I had worked on staying straight, ai riding in a straight line, with him before hand. When I got him going straight was not well understood, and by breaking down the exercise and practicing the individual steps on our trail rides we got to where we are now. He still does not stay straight on his own but will with minimal reminders (little pull or half halt on the outside rein). Gudmar pointed out I anticipate to much with constant rein contact - have pressure on the rein just in case he veers off, and Greni appreciated when I truly released both reins. Initially he immediately veered off but over the four sessions he got much better quite fast.

Gudmar tested Greni for the tolt, which I had not asked for yet. He does not seem to have a true tolt, but does have a running walk, which I now know (sort off) how to ask for and how it feels. In true Scott fashion I'll break down the steps: speed up the walk with leg pressure while sitting a little back, using the reins to capture that speed without actually speeding up (the steps get more energized), then asking for more speed with a little restriction without breaking into trot - and stop while ahead, ai go back to walk before any trot steps happen (please correct if needed, my memory is a bit fuzzy). I will make sure to have my weight a bit forward while asking for trot, and back for running walk, to help Greni differentiate.

Apparently I am not sitting straight! My few years of riding hunt seat must have overwritten my dutch dressage training as I did not use to have that issue. Steve helped me feel what is straight and what is actually back. It did not help that the saddle was not sitting on Greni's back correctly as Gudmar pointed out that the higher than normal cantle was pushing me forwards. I added padding (first a towel then a blanket) to raise the pommel and suddenly sat straighter and low and behold, I could round out my lower back (it was hollow before). The first day my back injury was sore after the second session, the second day (with saddle raisers) it was not! wow!

What I would like to work on next time? speed control
In the last session I worked on running walk and trot cues and with all those other horses (and scott suddenly appearing speed tolting from behind several times - Greni hates things appearing from behind) Greni was quite hot and bothered and a handful for me. I've had a loss of speed control trauma in my riding past and have a hard time dealing with that feeling. Gudmar pointed out instead of using rein (he'll win anyway) to work with the speed, instead of asking for less speed ask for a circle, and have the direction slow him down. It seemed to work :)

But I still do not like the new stirrup length... I tried it on my ride today and felt all discombobulated again. I think I'll settle for short legs for now but pledge to lower again when my balance feels more adequate...

Andrea and Steve did an awesome job putting together this clinic, and Cordy did an awesome favor by picking up Hildi and Greni from Ithaca! Thank you all for making this weekend happen!

And even tho Greni poked a hole in his skin in the paddock saturday morning (I found him bleeding all over his leg when I went to tack him up for the first session and I sort of freaked out) I he loved being there - not only did he meet his new BFF (Shari's mare Hildi) the barn manager fed them hay twice a day! lucky semi-fat boy :)

A very tired Susan V.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog