Wednesday, December 19, 2012

you know you're doing something right...

... when your pony wants to go the long way back home!

To be able to get to the property of other neighbor horse owners sans road I puzzled out a way around the back of a couple houses that goes to a dirt track that crosses our road to a large hay field next to their lands... I only had to get permission from the one farm owner, which we did, and just doubled the amount of our rideable land! It even has more woods, with overgrown tractor trails, and a lot of overgrown pasture. I'll need to do some more trail clearing again :)

I already had the inkling Greni likes to go explore new territory, we've gone off trail a few times from our normal routine which gets him all happy and alert and very reactive to my riding queues, which is interesting as at the same time he's more alert to his surrounding and more alert to what I want (mostly to protect either my head from low hanging branches or my knees from short cuts around unmovable trunks, haha).

So today I decide to go the short way back, which is a left (my toes are frozen) and a few steps in Greni stops, looks at me, looks at the trail ahead, looks behind with ears all perked and again to me... and I ask, would you rather go the long way round on the new field? So he gently turns around, a bounce in his step, heads for the break in the tree line, and off we go, exploring :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog