Friday, December 7, 2012

winterizing the gardens

 We're getting there! First removed the dried up tomato and squash plants for the bonfire - don't want to infect my compost - removed anything that died with the first frosts, like the sweet potato vines and tender leavy greens (next year pull them just before and feed to goats) - pulled the last weeds and self sown leafy greens for the goats, we had about five wheelbarrows of yummie treats - and harvesting the last produce like the Indian Corn... Then add veggie food!

 Making room in my veggie garden kick starts the cleaning spree in my livestock barns as well - clean the chicken coop and spread the litter all over the garden beds, clean the horse and goat stalls and spread the manure all over the garden beds (including the weekly wheelbarrow of poopies from the pasture as Greni poops only outdoors), clean the lawn of any leaves (mulch with mower then vacuum with mower) and add any woodstove ash leftovers to make room in the bin for this winter's supply. And not to forget: pick up any bagged up leaves in town I can find! This year I think I added about 4 car loads of leaves, and I squeeze 8 bags at a time in my poor Volvo :)
Here the garden is starting to get it's blanket of organic matter (and you can see the new fence, so much nicer than the pallets, hihi). I leave most of the leafy greens like chard and collard greens; I can slowly feed the leaves to the goats but also with a mild winter they'll survive (and go to seed).
 Right now the garden has two area's of greens, a patch of garlic & leeks and the rest is a 6 inch layer of stuff - I really hate to see exposed dirt in winter. And every year I contemplate sowing a cover crop but don't get to it, and every year I'll think: next year will be the year I'll have my act together! Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog